Saturday 15 September 2012

Module 1 - Activity 1 What is learning?


After the activity:


The most powerful lessons that I learnt during this activity:
As educators we underestimate the potential of the children who come to us.  Children come to us with a deep desire to embrace new knowledge and skills.  We should therefore create an effective learning environment where teacher and learner are “equal partners” in the teaching learning process. I recognize that a number of group members from their comments were willing to be taught, examine their current practices and in the process make the necessary adjustment, they were open minded and think that it is important to be engaged in professional development.

 (Optional) – Thoughts from self-activities


I was grateful for the guide questions which aided my reflection and kept me on target as I read. 
Activity 1.2 was very interesting,   I especially liked creating the mountain. I completed this activity using a kindergarten class, teaching the sound of “ Tt” in the being area  I had the students say the names of pictures that they were shown, they were asked to say what sound they heard at the beginning of each picture then say what letter made that sound.
In the doing level, they followed a path with letters, every time they met a “Tt” they had to give the sound that the "Tt" makes.  They also coloured the letter “Tt” and repeated the sound while they did this. They were also given some pictures with “Tt” and otherwise.  They were to run a line through those pictures that did not give the “Tt” sound.
At the knowing level they were shown the “Tt” and I  gave a picture clue and the sound and they repeated after me – table /t/
The questionnaire “Myself as a learner” was interesting and mind boggling.

(Optional) – Other comments

  I also liked the ideas of the summaries given at the end of the readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment